Job market is very competitive in India and getting good dream job is not easy. For single position you gets hundreds of application.
Following aspect matters when anyone look at Profile at first glance.
- How well resume has been created ? Is proper efforts taken to create resume.I have seen resume from one page to 23 pages and some time one pager gets selected as it is short & highlighting all key achievement. In today’s time crunch environment no one have time to read 23 pages. We can decide ourselves what are our strength, what we need to highlight, what is unique in us and so on, my personal option beyond 2 to 3 pages it doesn’t make much sense.There are many online tools available to create good Resume as this is first impression.
- Engg degree everyone has now a days so apart from that what is our achievement, any certification, any projects, any extra curricular activities as only Engg degree not sufficient in today’s competative market.
- Communication skills are very important as now a days most of the projects are global so this is must criteria, you might be techincally very strong but If you cannot communicate your thoughts properly then chances of success are less as other person will find difficult to understand your thoughts.
- Proactiveness, Everyone like proactive team members instead of just informing problem, If team members Informed some solutions then people will like & appreciate it.
- Team player & knowledge sharing, this is very important aspect, Hero culture & not sharing Knowledge will not work for long term.
- Current trends in Industry. We should well aware what is current trends in our Industry
Few things which helped me to become successful are.
1. I started doing Software Development for few small Companies when I was doing my graduation in Computer Science.
2. When I was doing my Post graduation, I have started my small partnership Software firm and teaching Institute which is success story and helped me to get confidence in Industry.
3. Several state level, National levels Competation I have participated & Won the awards. Such as first best 25 Programmer in Pune on Unix platform, Second level National champion to developed own text editior in 1 hour, online coding Competation.
4. Tried to do lot of certifications such as Sun Certified Java programmer, ITIL certification and many more it’s good tool to evaluate ourselves.
5. Never thought of money as main criteria when starting my initial Jobs, learning was main criteria. Initial Job after graduation was 750 Rs. per month in 1993 but still learning which I have done in clipper, Cobol, Foxpro given me good starting point to develop real life Software.
Some of above points might help you to think what different things you can do to get your dream job.